15 November 2011

Happy National Bundt Day!

November 15 is National Bundt Day and, if I'm not mistaken, International Bundt Day as well. Last year, I came across the Food Librarian's blog and this marks the third year she has marked the day with a 30 day celebration of the Bundt leading up to it. She's stated on her blog that this will be the final year for "30 Days of Bundts" and I can't say that I blame her...it's got to be difficult coming home from work each night for a month and putting together a Bundt and taking the nifty photos of it to post, on top of all the normal getting-home-from-work stuff.

Last year I think I made a pumpkin spice cake. This year I made two different kinds of cakes:

This is the Moist Holiday Honeycake from Allrecipes.com. The recipe states that it's traditionally served for Rosh Hashanah. The only modification that I made was substituting Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum for the optional whiskey, because we don't keep whiskey at our house, but we do have rum. It's got coffee in it, but when I tasted some of the trimmed bits, all I could taste was the rum. The kids liked it; they probably just tasted the sticky honey. Jeff did not like it because all he could taste was the coffee. It was good, but I don't think I'll make this one again.

This lovely Bundt is a Black Pepper and Spice Cake with Lemon Glaze, which came from a cookbook at the public library: Cake Keeper Cakes: 100 Simple Recipes for Extraordinary Bundt Cakes, Pound Cakes, Snacking Cakes and Other Good-to-the-Last-Crumb Treats by Lauren Chattman. I haven't tried the finished cake, but I broke all the salmonella rules and licked the batter off the mixer beaters, raw eggs and all, and it was pretty tasty. As you might infer from the title, there's a fair amount of black pepper in the batter. In fact, there's a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper in each cake. I did leave out the chopped walnuts from this recipe. Partially because I'm not a huge fan of walnuts and partially because the husband doesn't like any nuts at all. The girl is also allergic so in the event that there was some available for her, I wanted her to be able to eat it. The glaze on this one has a combination of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a little lemon from concentrate. I made two of these so that husband could take one to his workplace. It didn't seem right for them not to have their own Bundt with which to celebrate.

1 comment:

Sara said...

These both look fantastic. I am a HUGE fan of honeycake...so moist and such great flavor! :)